Monday 17 August 2009

My Last 2 Weeks at Children’s Vision, Bogota...













The second week I was in the home, the team from my home church, Strandtown / Holywood Baptist, arrived. It was really great to have them there! Peter Lockhart who had been with me in Peru at the very start of this trip was among them. To see him again was really nice as he

could understand more about what I was getting up to.

I have seen many teams visit children’s homes. Last year I was there myself a s a member of the S/H team. But towelcome this team and to see their work and love towards the children made me realise that, yes, God does dowonderful things using his people - for two weeks of their lives, the kids had very friendly, loving friends from Northern Ireland. Most of the team were already sponsors and God-parents of the children.












As my role was being a mentor for the rest of my time here,

I worked behind the scenes with the kids every day. Which I thoroughly enjoyed! As an ordinary tea

m member you only see some aspects of the work. At the beginning I just made friends with the children before becoming a mentor.




So I got really close as friends to the boys in the home. In some way I was picking up what it means to live in a home from their point of view. I understood their issues and in some way looked out on the team and the workers from where they stood.



I know that this is quite something to say, but they opened up to me as a big bother or friend or even as a daddy. I saw their biggest need - they need love. Some one that is a tutor who deals equally with all the kids of the group and comes in because it’s their job is different. But as I worked there

as a volunteer with my full conviction to devote my attention and efforts for them I saw

that this meant so much. Then the team came and when they shared their love and friendship you could see that the kids really were very happy because they knew it was real.


I became a God-parent of Miguel. Through him, God showed me what He can do when He fills a little heart with the love of God. How powerful it is and how attractive it is! Miguel in many ways did want me as his Father-figure and him to be as my child. But talking to him, I realised that the One who came first in his life was God... He often would say to me, “God comes first, then me!”.. As I know that with all his heart he meant those words, I know that this child will grow up to be a strong follower of the Lord.

As we prayed and even sang songs before he went to sleep, we gave thanks to God for his work in all the children’s homes. We gave thanks that He has not forgotten about us. I reminded Miguel that I was adopted but God did not forget about me, He picked me up and gave me hope for this life. He gave me the opportunity to know Him and to follow Him.

I mentioned to Miguel that God had put it in my heart to reach many more boys and girls for God so they too can fully be in relationship with Him, to be an instrument in bringing God’s love to them, in setting up a children’s home in Peru where I was adopted.

Miguel knew that His God definitely can fulfil His purposes, and we gave thanks together for God’s leading in our lives.

So having finished this 6 month tour

of visiting and helping in many children’s homes, I want to close this post with the words I left the boys on the farewell evening at the end of July.

“I did not choose my name

I did not choose where I live

I did not even choose my parent.

But then I grew up

And got to choose a new name

A new place to live

A new parent

My new name is Christian

My new place to live is Heaven

And my new parent is my Abba Father”

2 comments:

  1. pray now as i seek to fulfill this work here in Northern Ireland..

    ReplyDelete